Does it surprise you to hear that well over half of the candidates I have interviewed over the years didn’t send a thank you note?
Sending a thank you email requires all of 10 minutes of your time, if that.If done well, it shows you’re grateful, detailed oriented and interested. Equally important, it keeps you top of mind for the hiring manager.
Rarely, you’re the only person interviewing for the role, so why not stand out amongst the crowd?
Below is a simple outline for a thank you email that’ll have them thinking of you while they’re making their final hiring decision.
- Thank them for their time.
- Share your continued interest in the role.
- Acknowledge the interviewer for something they shared in the interview that you found insightful. In addition, share what you have been thinking about since the interview including an idea or strategy that you have come up with.
- Highlight and reinforce one of your strengths that lends well for the job. Be specific.
- Share that you’re available to discuss next steps.
- Sign off with your name and LinkedIn profile link
Subject line: Thank you for your time (insert interviewer’s name) or Thank you!
Thank you for taking the time to connect with me (today/yesterday). After leaving the interview, I am even more excited about the possibility of working with you and the team. I enjoyed our conversation and I’m incredibly inspired by the company’s 2021 goals specifically (insert example).
I’ve spent more time thinking about a strategy to achieve this goal and have attached it to this email. In addition to the attached, I believe my previous experience leading high performing teams will lend itself greatly to achieving positive results for the organization’s goals.
Please let me know if there’s anything else you need from me to continue the interview process. I can be reached at 555-555-5555.
Hope you have a great week and I look forward to hearing next steps,
(insert your name)(insert your LinkedIn profile link)
A couple more things:
While there’s no set number, it’s safe to say that on average a candidate will interview 3+ times before receiving an offer (or not).
Personalizing your thank you emails per interviewer and interview stage is key in making a meaningful impact.
For more ideas on preparing for your next job interview follow me on Instagram @owntheinterview or sign up HERE and your email will be automatically added to the bi-weekly newsletter.