Have you ever made it ½ way through the year and thought to yourself, what have I even accomplished this year? What have I been doing with my life?
If you answered yes, you’re not alone. I’ve been there. And then I stumbled upon a simple exercise of choosing a word of the year.
Sounds a little like hot air and I guess it could be if you choose your word without any thought. But really, this exercise works for me. And I think it could for you too.
With a glance of that one simple word, I’m reminded of what I want to achieve throughout the year. It’s been helpful in guiding me with my decision making and supported me in staying grounded.
So with that being said, I’ve curated a list of my favourite questions to help guide you through the same exercise I do myself.
By answering these questions, you’ll uncover your intention for the year and have a specific word that’ll act as your North Star to keep you on track with what you set out to achieve in 2021.
Let’s start with why intention setting is beneficial?
Like I mentioned, a word of the year can be your North Star aligning with your purpose or long term vision for the year. It’s that gentle reminder of what you intend to do and create, who you intend to be and how you intend to achieve what’s possible this year.
Where do you begin?
Step #1: Answer the following questions.
Here are the 8 questions:
- What do you need more of in your life?
- What goals have you set for this year?
- Who do you need to be in order to achieve these?
- What is your #1 priority this year?
- What is already set to happen and what do you want to happen in 2021?
- How do you want to feel?
- When I wake up in the morning, I want to feel ________
- Considering this past year, what is something that you could improve on, do differently or keep working on?
- What would you like to change about last year?
- It’s December 31st, 2021- what are you feeling most grateful for and proud of?
Step #2: Review your answers. Do any words stand out for you?
Here are some additional words that could help land this for you.
You’ve selected your word, now what?
Well, just like choosing a word was your choice, the power of keeping this alive is up to you. Here are some ways I’ve incorporated my word of the year in my day to day.
- Write it in a notebook or on your bathroom mirror
- Keep it framed beside your bed
- Make it your phone or computer wallpaper/locked screen
- Say it in the morning when you wake up or in the evening before bed
- Meditate on it
- Tell a friend/have an accountability partner
Regardless if you choose to do any of the above or not, I highly recommend you check-in with yourself once a month- how’s it going? Have you been making choices daily to support your intention?
Setting a word of the year will inspire, motivate and getting started is as simple as answering the 8 questions above. Now that you’ve got what you need to begin, go pour yourself a glass of pre-new years bubbles 🥂 and get going!
For more helpful tips on cultivating the career of your dreams, follow me on Instagram @owntheinterview or email me at email@example.com