If you’re like me, you sometimes let the stress of an interview take over.
Don’t let it get the best of you! Trust me, it’s all in your head.
Here are a few actions you can take right now:
1. Release the pressure of perfection.
To put it simply, perfect doesn’t exist. Our imperfections are what make us human and relatable. In fact, it’s one way for us to connect with the interviewer.
You may say the wrong thing or the example you share may not sound as great as you had rehearsed. That’s ok. Remind yourself that perfect is not the end goal of this interview. So with that in mind, here’s tip #2.
2. Visualize what a great interview will look like.
Here are some ideas to get you started:
- You’re calm and steady with your responses.
- You’re smiling and feel at ease.
- You have great chemistry with the interviewer.
3. Create a positive mindset for yourself.
This 3-step exercise has always supported me when my inner critic speaks a little too loudly. If you haven’t heard of this concept before, click on inner critic above before you read below.
Step 1: Identify what your inner critic is saying.
- Example: You aren’t good enough for this role.
Step 2: Flip the script.
- Example: I’m qualified. I’m capable. My experience is exactly what this hiring manager is looking for.
Step 3: Repeat this every time you catch your inner critic piping up.
4. Phone a friend. A little pep talk will go a long way.
Find thank you emails, loving letters or cards from friends and call the person who sings your praises. Allow them to reassure you how awesome you truly are. Walking into your interview with your confidence charged will have you shining brightly.And finally, #5.
5. Prepare. Prepare. Prepare.
This is what Own The Interview’s method is built on:
- Think about all of your accomplishments, successes and failures. Leverage this free guide to support you in brainstorming.
- Learn as much as you can about the company, the role and the person interviewing you.
- Practice interviewing with a friend or in the mirror.
If you take just one thing from this article, let it be that you know yourself better than anyone else. Let go of your doubts because if there’s anything in the world that you’re an expert in, it’s you!If you’re beginning your job search or are looking for job interview preparation support, I am here to help!
Start by checking out my free resources available HERE and follow me on Instagram @owntheinterview
+ show Comments
- Hide Comments
add a comment